Traveling to Countries with Cultural Differences










As a traveler, I have learned to embrace all ‘differences’ with an open mind. Difference in cultures, customs and ways of life. There is something fascinating about how you and I, though so much alike, can live completely different worlds: physically, mentally, spiritually and in many other countless ways. Whenever I travel I want to blend in. I want to see the life of the locals, go to the markets, try traditional food, celebrate local festivities. What I enjoy the most is feeling the spirit of the people and being one with where I am. Understanding that there are different forms of living outside of what I know.

With traveling to a foreign country, I strongly suggest doing some research beforehand. 
Throughout my travels thus far these are some things I have learned:

Mosques, Cathedrals, Churches
Many of these sacred grounds require a modest attire and or coverings for the hair or bare skin. Some also require you take off your shoes before entering.

Alcohol Consumption
In some countries alcohol is prohibited or frowned upon, so if you must drink do so discreetly or wait until you get back home.

Siestas
Some countries close down shops for a certain amount of hours in the afternoon, to take a break and be with their family and/or sleep. I remember when I went to Spain all of the restaurants and shops closed for a small duration in the afternoon. I ended up starving the first day because I had no idea it was part of the custom there. Good to research so you can prepare ahead.

Attire
Some countries are more conservative then others and may consider it offensive if you dress revealing or wear clothing that shows your figure. Dress accordingly out of respect.

Equality
Coming from the US where we are “all created equal” you will quickly learn not every country will see you as an equal, be aware. I’m all for woman empowerment but especially as a woman be extra cautious.

Haggling apparently is also part of some countries culture, which I am so terrible at because it gives me anxiety so I always end up paying the high price. I have grown to admire the dedication the Islamic people have to pray five times a day, the canang sari (small offerings) set out by the Balinese. From accepting tea and exchanging stories, to hearing the call to prayer echoing throughout the streets, and warm embraces of kissing cheeks, I always feel so content and full of life when I travel. You can learn so much if you are open to it. Remember you are a visitor and you must be courteous. It is a beautiful thing to be able to experience a culture that is not your own. I hope one day I am able to go one step further and touch the paths less traveled and see the world in a much deeper scope.

xoxo,
Guadalupe

Comments

Popular Posts