The Solo Traveler



I have always been a loner at heart. Something about spending time in solitude puts me at ease. It allows me to slow down, take time to collect my thoughts and truly be present. Perhaps that is why I never had second thoughts the first time I flew out of the country by myself. Many of my travels thus far have been alone. 






I vaguely remember when I was around the age of four going to Mexico for not the happiest of circumstances. That was the last time I flew on a plane in my childhood. I always wondered why we never went back. My mother would say flights were too expensive. After that, I never questioned it. 

My senior year of high school, I took a Chicano Literature class where we read and learned a lot about ancestry. It left me wanting to know about my family roots. After high school, I saved up money with the desire to travel back to Mexico to understand where I had come from. It was the first place I wished to travel, to come full circle and understand my roots. That journey was full of so many emotions and childhood nostalgia. It left me craving to know more, more of the world.

Since then, most of my travels have been unaccompanied. I have never felt scared to travel solo— I find it quite liberating. Of course, solo traveling isn't always rainbows and butterflies. It can be frustrating. There have been times where I have felt defeated and broken down. Other times where I was pick pocketed (a large amount of cash including my passport), had an allergic reaction to mosquito bites (where I couldn't walk due to the swelling), and suffered excruciating sunburns (don't forget to wear sunscreen in high altitudes), just to name a few. Yet, all of these incidents were learning lessons. I don't even get fazed anymore on my travels, all I can really do is laugh and move on. 

It's hard to put into words everything I feel when I travel alone. It is exhilarating. Experiencing things for the first time without the comfort of someone I know around gives me a different level of satisfaction. I realize I am more capable than what I thought. I am not dependent on anyone. The memories I make, I will keep forever for myself. I admire the many different cultures and ways of life. I have learned to release control instead of always needing to have precise plans. I am not always one hundred percent comfortable but that is the beauty of it. It pushes and challenges me. Whether it is a language barrier or simply not having the best sense of direction, I always end up with unforgettable travel experiences and it makes for the best stories. Boy do I have plenty of those! 

From being stranded a $200 taxi ride away from my hotel (since I had missed the last bus that evening) and meeting a family who took me into their home and fed me. Giving me a ride the following day, all out of the kindness of their hearts. To another time being completely lost and finding a bicyclist who walked me home, both of us not understanding each other. Yet, somehow managing bits and pieces enough for us to laugh (about the language barrier) and plan to meet the following day for a tour of the city. And to making deep authentic friendships. My first ever being with a lady from Kenya (Catherine), who was in her early 40s while I was the age of 21 and instantly having a connection, being practically inseparable during those few weeks together. She is the reason for my coffee addiction lol, introduced me to it since we always had to stop for her cappuccino in the mornings, and many many more. 

Traveling solo as a woman can seem intimidating but it shouldn't be. Use your best judgement, trust your instinct and of course do your research (safety precautions). Once you take that step, you  realize how small you are in this world, how minuscule your problems are in comparison . It is a new perspective and a humbling one. It is therapeutic in so many ways.

Traveling alone simply is a beautiful adventure. 

xoxo,
Guadalupe

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts