Kenya


A few years ago I met an incredible woman by the name of Catherine. This woman was the main reason for my voyage to Africa.  














Even though there were more than twenty years between us, Catherine immediately became one of my dear friends. She embodied so many admirable traits. She was a strong woman but still had a sense of silliness. She ran her own business and had a family of her own. We shared the same faith. It fascinated me how despite taking care of her three children with her hardworking husband she always managed to find time to travel.

Catherine told me about shape-shifters and pirates and how depending on where you are traveling in Kenya, some places are not safe. In my head I thought those were things you read about in children’s novels... or maybe they just don’t have eyepatches and puffy sleeves. Needless to say, I was lucky enough for her company throughout my travel.

As I awaited to clear customs, I saw the most beautiful sunrise. It was the perfect welcome to Kenya. Throughout my two weeks in Kenya, I was able to see Nairobi, Maasai Mara, Naivasha, Nakuru, Mombasa, and Malindi. 

I did a three-day game drive that was more than what I had imagined it to be. I was taken aback and really at a loss of words on how beautiful the animals and the national parks were. I came during the wildebeest migration, and it was phenomenal how many were roaming through Maasai Mara. We camped during the game drive, but it wasn’t the kind of camping I had expected. The tents were already set up and had proper bathrooms, showers and beds. I was quite pleasantly surprised. I expected to be covered in flies by the end of the three days if it was the camping I had imagined. Every day we would have breakfast at 6am sharp. The game drive was a full day excursion, lunch was packed and we would return to the camp site for dinner in the evenings. Even though they were full days, the time flew by as we scouted for animals and drove around in nature.

The roads throughout the country were extremely bumpy and very dusty. I was told they were being under construction. They were also only one lane, so there was always traffic. Catherine shared with me that just the week prior to my arrival there had been an accident on the road causing a 12hour plus traffic delay, that had even made the news. Can you imagine?

Along the road as we drove through the different cities, I saw so many different villages. Each home was made a little differently. Some were made with bricks, and others were made from mud and sticks or bamboo. Little shepherd boys would walk through pastures herding their sheep. I saw so many young boys: boys under the age of ten. Many children running and waving with contagious smiles along the road. 

When I got to the coast side of Kenya the weather was slightly gloomy, but it was still rather warm and humidity was definitely present. I sat to take breakfast in front of the beach, the breeze blowing through my hair. I felt content as I watched kids looking for seashells in the sand while boats bobbed up and down in the ocean awaiting business. Life was different. Living situations were different. Not better or worse, just different. Of course there are always exceptions..

It made me think of the simplicity of living. I was reminded of the ranchito mi abuelita lives in back in Michoacán, Mexico. I remember we went to visit her when I was little. The windows and doorways were just hung pieces of fabric, bed sheets perhaps. The bathroom was an outhouse with no water of its own. We had to go bring buckets of water with us to flush. Mi abuelita had her own little farm where she would get milk and eggs. She still lives there now. My uncles have offered her their homes in the states, yet she would rather stay in her little ranchito that she loves. 

Just because something is different doesn’t make it better or worse. Sometimes society makes it a point to say a certain job, appearance, house, etc is what makes someone better than the next. I think that is why I travel because sometimes I feel so disconnected to those around me. 

It is pureness and authenticity I long for. To see and observe that there is still hope and joy in the simplicities.

xoxo,
Guadalupe♥️

Comments

Popular Posts